Saturday, July 03, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

Sometimes I watch a movie for which I'm really not the target audience and like it just fine.  Other times . . . well, not so much.

Now, I like a good time travel yarn as much as the next guy, but for me a good time travel yarn usually includes, oh, say, the Borg, or Nazis, or Terminators.  You know, the "travel through time, kick some butt, save the universe" type of stuff.  You don't get any of that in THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE.  Instead you get a semi-weepy romantic drama.  Which is not to say that it's a terrible movie.  It looks good, there are a few funny lines amidst the angst, and I stayed awake all the way through it.  Take that for what it's worth.

I will say this.  We watched all of it, which is more than I can say for some movies we've attempted to sit through lately.

3 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

I'll take "Back to the Future" and "Time After Time" with Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper.

James Reasoner said...

Yeah, those are excellent time travel movies as well.

AndyDecker said...

The novel is great, though. It has nothing to do with SF, but it is marvelously constructed as a work of fiction.

Never saw the movie.