Saturday, January 21, 2006

Bob's Birthday

This afternoon a small but dedicated and enthusiastic group of Robert E. Howard fans gathered at The Torch, a Fort Worth neighborhood bar, to celebrate the hundredth anniversary of his birth. (Tomorrow is actually Howard's birthday.) The crowd included fans from as far away as Washington, D.C. and California. For more than three hours, they visited with each other and took to the open microphone to read Howard poems, letters, and excerpts from his stories. It was a great afternoon, and everyone who made it possible is to be congratulated. I'd start naming names, but I'm sure I would forget someone who deserves the recognition, so I'll leave it at that. I have no idea how much money was raised for the Cross Plains Fire Relief Fund, but I hope the event was a success in that regard. I thought about taking a camera with me so that I'd have some photos to post, but of course I forgot.

In other news, according to Blogger this is my 500th post. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suppose I'll take their word for it.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

I wish I could have been there, but I had already planned to spend the afternoon working. Sorry I missed it.

Carl V. Anderson said...

In looking for blogs with posts about Robert E. Howard's 100th birthday I not only found your site, which is great by the way, but I also learned of the tragic fire in Texas that, though it didn't destroy Howard's home, was devastating to the community. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost family, friends, property, etc.