Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tuesday's Overlooked Movies: Shadow of a Doubt

(This post originally appeared in different form on July 11, 2010. Haven't had time to watch much, and everything I've watched has been new and/or too popular for this series.)

This is the one that somehow I had never seen until now. It was reportedly Hitchcock’s favorite of his films, and I liked it quite a bit, too. It’s a somewhat uneasy but highly entertaining mix of small-town Americana and serial killer thriller, as a young woman (the lovely Theresa Wright) tries to figure out whether her charming uncle (Joseph Cotton, who will always be Jed Leland from CITIZEN KANE to me) is really a murderer. There’s a great supporting cast in this one and a lot of humor despite the grisly subject matter. Macdonald Carey strikes me as an odd casting choice for the FBI agent who’s the hero. Wallace Ford, who played the taxi driver in HARVEY, is much better as Carey’s partner. This is one of the few movies I’ve seen where I was really uncertain how it would end, so I think Hitchcock deserves that Master of Suspense label on this film. If you haven’t seen it, you should definitely check it out.

2 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

It's underrated and has always been one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

A blood freezing performance from Cotton.
When he opens up to the young heroine...

"Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you'd find swine? The world's a hell. What does it matter what happens in it?"

A truly scary cinematic sociopath.

John Hocking