Friday, July 25, 2014

Now Available: Charlie's Pie - Livia J. Washburn

Lauralee Brannam just wants to bake her son's favorite pie for his birthday, which happens to fall on Christmas Eve. But then a wounded stranger shows up on her Texas ranch, and his fateful visit leads to violence, tragedy, and redemption in this stirring Western tale.

Livia's 12,000 word novella "Charlie's Pie", which won the Peacemaker Award for Best Short Fiction from the Western Fictioneers this year, is now available individually at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords, as are the other stories from the Prairie Rose Publications anthology WISHING FOR A COWBOY. I'm biased, of course, but I really like "Charlie's Pie" and when I read it my first thought was that it would have been right at home in a 1950s issue of RANCH ROMANCES, when the magazine had gotten considerably more hardboiled than it was in its early days. Check it out! (Yeah, there's a half-naked cowboy on the cover, but it's one tough yarn, let me tell you.)


1 comment:

Walker Martin said...

Lately, while complaining about why my local Barnes & Noble doesn't carry the remaining 5 fiction digests, I noticed a big display, all with cowboys in various stages of undress.

I can put up with naked women on vintage paperbacks or on WEIRD TALES but I have to draw the line at naked cowboys. I prefer my cowboys interacting with horses and blazing six guns!

However, since the author is your wife, I wish her success. Maybe if the cover showed the cowboy shooting a naked girl? She could gasp, "How could you?"