Monday, February 18, 2013

Movies: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

When I put this movie on our Netflix queue I obviously didn't look closely enough at it, because I thought it was a peppy high school comedy. Actually, despite a few moments of dark humor, it's more of an angst-filled, slow-moving mope-fest about child abuse, suicide, and promiscuity. But I have to admit, it's a fairly well-done mope-fest, with those previously mentioned humorous moments, some really effective scenes, and good acting for the most part. I say for the most part because while I like Emma Watson just fine in the Harry Potter movies, having her play a slutty American teenager was probably not the wisest choice. This is an okay movie and probably worth watching, just don't go into it expecting any pep.

No comments: