Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Frontier Stories, May 1927

There's not much to say about this one except, my, isn't that a pretty cover by H.C. Murphy?  No action for a change, but I love the colors and the sheer peacefulness of the scene.  And don't we all need a little peacefulness once in a while?  I'm sure the stories inside are action-packed, though, since the authors include Eugene Cunningham and J.E. Grinstead, both of them actual former cowboys who wrote many fine Western novels and stories.  At this point in its existence, FRONTIER STORIES wasn't exclusively a Western pulp but also published stories that took place anywhere that was considered a frontier.  Judging by such titles as "The Son of a Sea Cook" (by S.B.H. Hurst) and "A Cupid in Sea Boots" (by James K. Waterman), this issue contains several stories that aren't Westerns.  But I'm sure they're pretty good, too.

6 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I collect FRONTIER STORIES and it is one of my favorite pulps, especially during the period when Doubleday published the magazine, 1924-1929. Then a new publisher bought the title and the fiction was not as good as under Doubleday. It did last quite a long time, into the 1950's.

During the early years, Doubleday tried the large bedsheet size of 8 1/2 by 11 inches for a few issues but then they went back to standard pulp size.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That's the year my house was built and they knew how to build thick walls, pretty arches and graceful windows. Bet these stories reflect those characteristics.

James Reasoner said...

Walker, do you have this particular issue? All I have is the scan, and the question has come up on the WesternPulps group about whether or not Bittner, who's well-known as an editor and writer, actually painted the cover. The artist's signature looks like it might be A.H. Bittner, and that's what the Fictionmags Index says, but I'd like to know for sure.

Walker Martin said...

James, I do have the issue and according to the contents page the cover was painted by H. C. Murphy. The Associate editor is listed as Bittner.

James Reasoner said...

Walker,
Thanks! I had a hunch that if anyone had the answer, it would be you. I'll correct the post.

Laurie Powers said...

Oh I love this cover. And all the good things you guys are saying about it makes me want to try to find a few copies at Pulp Fest this year.