Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The A-Team

We watched THE A-TEAM when it was first on TV, not big fans but watched most episodes for a while before we eventually burned out on it. So we weren’t exactly waiting eagerly for the big-screen remake. However, we watched it recently and I was pleasantly surprised to find it pretty entertaining. Unlike the TV show, the movie has an origin story of sorts showing how most of the members of the team first met, and then the rest of it is a detailed, updated retelling of the back-story from the series. It’s loud, it’s silly, the stunts are ridiculously over-the-top, and for the most part, I rather enjoyed it. As some of the reviews mentioned when it came out, Liam Neeson is miscast as Hannibal Smith. I like Neeson, but the part needed somebody who’s not quite so dour. But Bradley Cooper and Quinton Jackson are okay as Face and B.A. respectively, and Sharlto Copley seems to be having a great time as Howling Mad Murdock. Then there’s the Jessica Biel Rule, which states that almost any movie with Jessica Biel in it will be worth watching at least part of the time. (No bonus points for guessing which part of the movie the Rule applies to.) So, THE A-TEAM isn’t a great movie, but it’s kind of fun and not nearly as bad as what you’ve probably heard. (I still like the A-Team/Three Stooges mash-up you can find on YouTube better, though.)

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

A pleasant time waster. I enjoyed it on a flight from Europe. I agree George Peppard is sadly missing from this version. The rest of the actors do an ok job.

Cap'n Bob said...

One of the first of the mindless sanitized violence shows. I gave up after about two shows.

Graham Powell said...

I think the last line of your review somewhat undermines the rest of it!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I never could get into the original so this passed me right by. But I cannot imagine Liam in it. Who makes these casting decisions?

James Reasoner said...

Graham,
You're probably right, but I really like the Stooges.

Unknown said...

I remember when I saw the first trailer for this about a year ago. Neeson definitely looked out of place. For such a talented actor, that guy has been starring in some very below-average films--After.Life springs to mind.

I do have this movie queued at my library, so I'll still watch it eventually. I just won't be bothered to spend $4 to do it.