Sunday, February 14, 2010

New Website for Black Dog Books


If the Sixties and Seventies were the Golden Age of Pulp Reprints because of all the mass-market paperbacks coming out then (Doc Savage, The Shadow, G-8, Jim Hatfield, and many others), then this must be the Silver Age. There are a number of small presses reprinting great pulp novels and stories, many of which haven't seen the light of day for decades. One of the best is Black Dog Books, published by my friend Tom Roberts. The new Black Dog Books website has just launched, so check it out. Tom produces some beautiful volumes filled with great stories by Lester Dent, H. Bedford-Jones, Harold Lamb, Talbot Mundy, and many other fine authors. I don't think you can go wrong with any of his books.

7 comments:

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going over there now. They have a great reputation.

beb said...

James, let's have a shout-out to John Locke's Off-Trails Press as well. They've put out some really nice books as well. And I appreciate the shout-outs you give to my site, as well. Right now we're living in an age where the best fiction of 30 years of publishing is becoming readily available. There's so much good stuff out there one could go broke just keeping up with it all

James Reasoner said...

Absolutely. I love the books from Off-Trail Press, Age of Aces, Altus Press, Pulpville, Wildcat Books . . . well, the list goes on and on and it seems like there are new pulp publishers all the time doing a great job. Some people say that all the really good stuff from the pulps was already reprinted years ago, but I think they're mistaken.

And speaking of Beb Books, there'll be some comments about ABU, THE DAWN-MAKER coming up in the relatively near future.

Evan Lewis said...

I've been looking over Tom's new site, too, and my mouth is watering. I want all those books.

George said...

I'm a fan of Leonaur Press. If you need a very nice set of Talbot Mundy's Tros of Samothrace, this edition is outstanding (but a bit pricey). You can browse the web site for hours!

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, George. I've heard of Leonaur Press but never looked at their website. I'll check it out.

Scott Cupp said...

I am going to echo what Evan said. I want all those titles and can see that money will be headed that way soon, particularly for the Cornell Woolrich book. I just wish it was not quite so pricey. I did bookmark the site though to be sure I continually return there.