Monday, February 22, 2010

I Hate Valentine's Day

No, not me personally. It’s the title of a movie.

You know those romantic comedies where the guy and the girl are obviously meant for each other but are kept apart by some stupid misunderstanding and the girl has these two wacky gay sidekicks and they all live in New York City which is clean and charming and filled with people who are colorful and eccentric but still friendly and helpful and the guy and girl get together at the end and everybody goes “Awwww”?

Well, this is one of those movies.

But the script is pretty funny in places, and the cast does a good job, which makes I HATE VALENTINE’S DAY a passably entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.

4 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I actually do hate Valentine's Day.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That Cap'n Bob always makes me laugh. I love John Corbett so I might have to try this one.
I still miss Northern Exposure.

James Reasoner said...

I've never forgotten one of Herb Tarleck's lines from WKRP: "God help me, I just don't 'get' NORTHERN EXPOSURE." I'm afraid I have to go along with Herb on that one. But that's just me.

I like Corbett, too, and he's fine in this one. I never saw MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, so this was my introduction to Nia Vardalos, who wrote, directed, and stars in I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY. I noticed that the movie had a bit of an odd rhythm to it, but it worked for the most part.

Todd Mason said...

That's a pretty surreal joke, James...Tarleck as precognitive!