Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Cold Case Affair -- Loreth Anne White

I was looking for something completely different to read the other day and picked up this book more or less at random. I like a good romantic suspense novel now and then, so I decided to give it a chance. It had a couple of things going for it: it’s set in Alaska, a setting I usually enjoy, even though I’ve never been there and almost certainly never will be; and it’s a nice, brisk 65,000 words or so in length, maybe even a little shorter than that. A lot of the bestselling romantic suspense novels suffer from the same malady as many other bestsellers: they’re too blasted long.

COLD CASE AFFAIR starts off with a bang, literally. In a flashback set twenty years in the past, a mysterious someone plants a bomb in a mine, and when it goes off, the blast kills a dozen miners. Jump ahead twenty years, and the daughter of one of those murdered miners is returning to her hometown to take over the newspaper she inherited from her recently deceased grandfather. It’ll come as no surprise to mystery readers that she tries to find out who was responsible for that never-solved bombing, and wouldn’t you know it, it turns out that the circumstances of her grandfather’s death are pretty sinister, too. At the same time, the heroine has a lot of emotional baggage involving a handsome bush pilot to deal with. This is a romance, after all.

A lot of times, at least in my experience reading them, which is admittedly limited, romantic suspense novels skimp on the mystery and suspense. That’s not the case here, as Loreth Anne White, an author I’d never read before, blends the two elements just about evenly and does a fine job with both. Some of the mystery is pretty easy to figure out, but the plot also takes an unexpected and almost noirish turn late in the book, leading to an action-packed ending. Most importantly, White is a good storyteller and possesses that indefinable knack of making the reader keep turning the pages. I enjoyed this one quite a bit and think it’s well worth reading. I may try some of the other books in this line.

5 comments:

Shannon Stacey said...

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find (in print), but Loreth's November 2008 Silhouette Romantic Suspense, Manhunter, was also excellent. Set in an Alaska-esque part of Canada, and a little more gritty.

James Reasoner said...

Shannon,

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with a copy. Gritty is good.

Brian Drake said...

A friend challenged me to write for a similar series, Harlequin Intrigue, once, and I even submitted part of the manuscript (with a feminized version of my name for a by-line). They didn't want it, which was a good thing, because I couldn't finish the darn thing. Maybe guys can't write romances. Or maybe I couldn't. But it was fun to try.

Brian Drake said...

A friend challenged me to write for a similar series, Harlequin Intrigue, once, and I even submitted part of the manuscript (with a feminized version of my name for a by-line). They didn't want it, which was a good thing, because I couldn't finish the darn thing. Maybe guys can't write romances. Or maybe I couldn't. But it was fun to try.

James Reasoner said...

I've read several Harlequin Intrigues and enjoyed them. I believe Tess Gerritsen got her start writing them. A lot of men wrote romances in the past, but not many now. There are still some, though.