Thursday, October 01, 2009

Righteous Kill

The first thing I thought as I was watching this movie was “Dang, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Brian Dennehy sure have gotten old!” (But then, I have, too.) The second was that the big “twist” ending they were setting up sure was obvious.

That said, watching De Niro and Pacino as tough New York cops hunting a vigilante serial killer can’t help but be mildly entertaining for a couple of hours. The presence of Carla Gugino as a crime scene tech doesn’t hurt anything, either. There’s an occasional funny line and a few decent action scenes. But RIGHTEOUS KILL never really rises above the level of a minor, very generic film, watchable but nothing more.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Too bad to not provide a worthy script for them.

Brian Drake said...

My father and I watched it together and he really enjoyed it while I thought there could have been much more. I almost lost interest in the characters within the first twenty minutes, and if that had continued I wouldn't have stuck around for the twist ending. I didn't think it was obvious but it wasn't terribly well done, either, but there are worse ways to kill two hours.

--Brian Drake

Iren said...

I haven't seen the film but the guys over at the Filmspotting Podcast gave it a very negative very funny review that almost makes me want to check it out. They point out the over the top semi homo-erotic credits at the start with the pumping iron and the shooting of the guns.