Saturday, June 07, 2008

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

We liked the first NATIONAL TREASURE movie quite a bit, so there was a good chance we’d enjoy the second one, NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS, too. And we did.

This time around, historian and archeologist Ben Gates (no relation to the PI of the same name from Robert Terrall’s novels, one assumes) is trying to find the fabled Lost City of Gold so that he can prove his great-grandfather wasn’t the mastermind behind Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. (Trust me, it makes sense, sort of, in the movie.) After numerous chase scenes, shoot-outs, and assorted derring-do, the whole thing comes to an action-packed climax inside Mount Rushmore. (Trust me, this also makes sense, sort of . . . well, not so much.)

But the important thing is that Nicolas Cage, playing the stalwart hero, and Ed Harris, who plays the villain, seem to be having a lot of fun, as do the members of the supporting cast, most of whom return from the first movie. There’s no point in trying to analyze a movie like this. Yes, some of the historical speculation is a little goofy, but so what? At least the movie is actually about history, which isn’t a bad thing. I had a really good time watching it.

7 comments:

Mark Terry said...

I like it quite a bit, too. Olmec Gold in the Dakotas--not so much. But, it was a lot of fun.

Carl V. Anderson said...

It was good fun despite not being wildly different from the first. Which goes a long way towards increasing my disappointment with the new Indy film. It is sad that films inspired by 'classics' like Raiders are generally so much better than what these directors/producers gave us after decades of waiting.

Anonymous said...

I've got an eleven year old daughter and have to see a lot of these 'adventure' movies. Just saw the new Indiana Jones movie. I think they're all pretty formulaic and I don't see much joy in them. You wrote about Beau Geste, which I read when I was about her age, after seeing the movie at late night under an exceptional arrangement with my parents who thought the film warranted relaxing their usual curfew time for us. Action, mystery, honor, all wrapped up with a plot. Is it too much to ask?

James Reasoner said...

Ah, BEAU GESTE . . . great movie, even better book. It may be time for me to hunt up some more P.C. Wren novels.

Cap'n Bob said...

Coincidentally, I saw National Treasure 2 yesterday. Enjoyed it despite a few plot holes (wasn't everyone pretty forgiving about others trying to murder them?).

Mike said...

Thats thte point, fun. No message just a guy doing heroic and proper things that had to be done. This is the kind of movie the high borw critics hate. Heck with them.

Anonymous said...

I did not enjoy it as much as every one else seem too. I found that I was enjoying the characters in the film more than I was enjoying the plot. I wanted to see the characters flesh out more.

I like the new Indiana Jones. Not as good as the first or third films, but I thought it was better than the second.

No one make a film as good as Beau Geste anymore. Last film that came close was John Huston's "The Man who would be King". Complex characters, great plot, and realistic action.