Sunday, April 20, 2008

Juno


I’m not really a fan of quirky little indie comedies. Philistine that I am, my tastes run more toward Will Ferrell movies. For example, I think that the post-credits epilogue in TALLEDEGA NIGHTS is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. So I’m really not the target audience for a movie like JUNO, which is about a sarcastic sixteen-year-old girl (Ellen Page) who gets pregnant and decides to give the baby up for adoption by a wealthy childless couple, played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman. Wry, low-key humor ensues.

JUNO is very well-acted and I laughed a few times. I liked it overall, despite the fact that it’s not the sort of movie I normally enjoy. In fact, I usually snooze right through ’em, but I didn’t with this one. I did doze off once, but only for a minute, and only because I wrote a lot yesterday and was tired, and of course because at my age dozing off in front of the TV is just one of the things you do. But if you’re thinking about watching JUNO I say give it a try. It’s okay
.

4 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

A chick flick. My wife and daughter loved it. I'd rather watch one of my b&w westerns.

Anonymous said...

"I did doze off once, but only for a minute!" --James Reasoner

There. Just wanted to see what that would look like as a ad blurb. Actually, saw it last night & thought it a great movie--I love gunfights & rustlers too!

--Steve Mertz

pattinase (abbott) said...

I found it touching. I especially liked the way your expectations were turned on their ear by the end. Very well acted, written, filmed and cast.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am a fan of quirky indie movies as well as the more traditional 'guy' films and I just loved this movie. The music alone was well worth seeing the film for but more than that I found the acting and dialogue and story...well...quirky, and I mean that in the best way possible. I'm glad you found it entertaining and only dozed once. ;)