Friday, August 04, 2006

Slowdown

Despite the good report from the ophthalmologist earlier this week, my eyestrain problem has gotten progressively worse, enough so that I've had to cut back on my computer time. Naturally, slowing down on the work bothers me, but I'm trying to adopt an attitude of doing what I can, when I can, and not obsessing over it. Not easy for me to do, as some of you can probably imagine. I've also had to stop reading as much, which is just as difficult if not more so. I've been a reader longer than I've been a writer. The doctor has recommended a couple of times that I watch more TV, because evidently the eye moves less while you're doing that and therefore has more of a chance to heal. We've been watching a lot of movies lately anyway, and I suspect I'll be watching even more for a while. Haven't seen anything recently that I liked well enough to write about, though. This blog had already gotten a little manic-depressive, with an outburst of posts for a day or two and then back into the doldrums for a few days, so that will probably continue for a while.

7 comments:

Juri said...

Hope you get better soon, James!

Unknown said...

Ditto what Juri said. Have you considered one of those dictation programs like Dragon Naturally Speaking for the computer?

James Reasoner said...

I've always been interested in those dictation programs, but the only person I know who's used one is Lee Goldberg, who went back to typing when his broken arms healed, I think. Still, I'm sure I'll try one of them sooner or later, just to see how they work. In the meantime, I've ordered an anti-glare screen for my monitor but it hasn't gotten here yet. I've also experimented with the font, character size, color, etc. I'll keep plugging away, one way or another.

Cap'n Bob said...

Horns of a dilemma. I want to offer you my best wishes, but don't want to add to your reading chores.

Charles Gramlich said...

"Watch TV?" Eek. One of those diction programs might be worth looking into. I bet it would be an adjustment for a writer, though.

Vince said...

Just wanted to wish you all the best, James.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Take care of yourself!

I need to start seeing your doctor! A presciption to watch more TV (movies) would be a beautiful thing!