Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cowboy Logic/Kinky Friedman


I'm going to break this blog's no-politics rule long enough to endorse Kinky Friedman. Not as a candidate for the governor of Texas -- although he may get my vote -- but as the author of this new collection of mostly humorous sayings culled from a variety of places, most notably the Kinkster's own wickedly warped brain. Included is one of my favorite quotes:

"This country was a better place when all the cowboys sang and their horses were smart."

Another one new to me that I like, from the section on writing:

"This is the twenty-fourth book that I've churned out -- I mean, carefully crafted."

As usual with Kinky's work, there are even a few serious moments, but I won't quote them here.

Scattered throughout the book are cartoons by the late Ace Reid, from his long-running comic strip "Cowpokes". Between the cartoons and the small amount of text on most of the pages, this is sort of like a Big Little Book for adults. You can probably read the whole thing in thirty minutes or so. But I guarantee, it'll be an enjoyable half-hour.

No comments: