Sunday, April 02, 2006

Odd Questions

So I'm sitting here tonight listening to a Franz Ferdinand CD and reading a Secret Agent X novel ("City of Madness" from the October 1936 issue), and I find myself wondering just how many other people in the world can make that same statement tonight. Then I ask myself how many people not only know that Franz Ferdinand is an emo band but also know what Buck Jones's real name was. Then I think about how my daughter commented the other day that when most people these days hear the name Ferdinand they think of the band, not the archduke. Hell, when I hear the name sometimes I think about Ferdinand the Bull.

Anyway, I got up and changed the CD. But I played Fountains of Wayne instead and then moved on to The Killers, so the weirdness factor hasn't really dropped all that much.

2 comments:

Juri said...

I was just writing a history of Finnish pulp and other fiction mags and listening to the collection of Whodini! (It wasn't very good, but I wanted to hear "Haunted House of Rock" once again! This will have to do for the rest of my life...)

Anonymous said...

About the issue of name recognition:

I'm 28, and at work recently I was speaking on the phone with a guy named James Stewart. After the call, I said to the others in the office (all aged between 20 and mid-30s) "Hey, I've just spoken with James Stewart". None of them knew who James Stewart was. When I mentioned some of the Hitchcock movies he was in, they recognised some of the movie names but had never seen them!