Sunday, July 10, 2005

Movies

We’ve seen several movies lately on DVD. A quick rundown:

MISS CONGENIALITY 2 – Well, it’s got Sandra Bullock in it, and she’s so cute and sweet. Not a great movie by any means, but I enjoyed it. Better than the critics said it was.

THE PACIFIER – Well, it’s got Vin Diesel in it, and he’s so . . . Wait a minute, that doesn’t work for this one. I thought it was one of the most predictable movies I’ve seen in a while, but the cast worked hard and Vin Diesel showed a pretty good touch for comedy. I enjoyed it. Better than the critics said it was.

HITCH – To me, Kevin James is funny even when he’s standing still and not doing anything. He’s great in this movie, and Will Smith is his usual charming self, and I thought it was a really good-hearted film. I enjoyed it a lot. I don’t remember what the critics thought of it, and I’m too lazy to look it up.

BEYOND THE SEA – Kevin Spacey’s bizarre but utterly heart-felt biopic of/tribute to Bobby Darin. Great music, a great performance by Spacey that really grew on me during the course of the movie, and a pretty good evocation of the time period. If I remember correctly, most of the critics looked at this one and said, “Huh?” I enjoyed it a lot once I got into it.

I’m obviously not a real tough critic when it comes to movies (my recent rant about THE HULK notwithstanding). Give me a halfway decent story, actors I like, good music and good production values, and I’m happy.

Today’s page count: 17. Not bad.

No comments: