Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Associate; Footloose

I finished THE ASSOCIATE by Phillip Margolin and thought it was an okay book. A nice complicated plot (although I have to be immodest here and admit that I figured out the big twist about halfway through the book) and a fast pace balance out the somewhat flat writing style. I wouldn't hesitate to read another book by Margolin. On the other hand, I'm not going to rush right out and look for another one, either.

In the comments on the previous post, Graham mentions the Mairead O'Clare series by Terry Devane, who is really Jeremiah Healy. As it happens, I own the first book in this series, UNCOMMON JUSTICE, and had forgotten that Devane was really Healy. I've enjoyed all of Healy's books that I've read, so I'll have to give this one a try soon. Thanks for the suggestion, Graham. Meanwhile Bill and Frank disagree a little on Scott Turow (although Frank doesn't exactly give Turow a ringing endorsement). I've looked at Turow's books and they seem a little weighty for my taste. Still, someday I might try one.

On a totally different subject, tonight we watched FOOTLOOSE on DVD, the first time I've seen this since it originally came out on videotape many years ago. Our younger daughter really likes Eighties movies -- she's a big fan of FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF, as am I -- and I had mentioned FOOTLOOSE to her as one that she should watch. It holds up pretty well, I thought, although for all its attempts at being hip in the end it comes off as another "Hey, kids, let's put on a dance" rock and roll movie, not that different really from, say, 1956's ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK. But the music's good, Kevin Bacon is good, Chris Penn is really good, and it's interesting seeing Sarah Jessica Parker in an early role. Well worth watching, I thought.

No comments: